- 1 large beetroot (about 300 g)
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 100 ml red wine
- 160 g risotto rice
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme (chopped)
- 100 g gorgonzola
- 1 cube vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 40 g walnuts
- Finely chop the onion and garlic. Peel the beetroot and cut into small cubes.
- In a pot, bring the vegetable stock to a boil and reduce the heat to keep it hot.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and fry the onion and garlic for 3 minutes. Add the beetroot and fry for another 3 minutes. Then add the risotto rice, fry for 1 minute and deglaze with red wine.
- Add 2 – 3 soup ladles of vegetable stock and let the rice simmer, stirring often, until the rice has absorbed all the liquid. Add the same amount of vegetable stock again and continue to simmer and stir. Repeat until the rice is cooked, it should take about 20 minutes.
- When the rice is cooked, reduce the heat and stir in the gorgonzola cheese and the fresh thyme. Season to perfection with salt and pepper.
- Roughly chop the walnuts and dry roast them in a pan until they start to release a nice smell. Sprinkle over the risotto.
Recipe & Picture: Liz Sinner