- Use a 30 cm cake tin, coated with baking paper
- 60 g Fairtrade brown sugar
- 20 g butter in small bits
- 100 g butter in pieces
- 120 g Fairtrade brown sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 4 eggs
- 3 tbsp milk
- 130 g Fairtrade dark chocolate
- 2 ripe Fairtrade bananas
Sprinkle the pan with Fairtrade sugar and heat to 220°C until it starts to melt. Then tilt the pan slightly and stir the sugar with a spoon so that it melts evenly. Once the caramel has formed, remove the pan from the heat as soon as the sugar has turned golden. To avoid a burnt result, add a little water.
- Mix the butter in a bowl, add the Fairtrade sugar and salt. Beat in one egg at a time, then continue the process until the mixture turns white. Stir in the milk.
- Mix in the Fairtrade chocolate, nuts, biscuits and baking powder.
- Carefully place the Fairtrade banana pieces in the caramel (see "How to"). Spread the dough on top. Baking time: approx. 1 hour on the middle rack of the preheated oven (180° C.) Remove, let it cool, unmould the cake before cooling it on a wire rack.
Source: Max Havelaar Switzerland, Betty Bossi Journal, January 2009 (Copyright by Betty Bossi)