- 225gr/8oz/1 cup green lentils
- 350gr/12oz bulgur wheat, rinsed
- 30ml/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 750ml/3cups water
- Salt and black pepper
- 3 big onion thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons mild olive oil
1. Boil the green lentils in a heavy pan with plenty of water for about 15 minutes. Drain the water and set the green lentils aside. (If you have time, you can put green lentils in water overnight)
2. Combine the half cooked green lentils and rinsed the bulgur wheat in a heavy pan. Pour in the water and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper(optional) to taste and stir to combine thoroughly. Bring to boil for 1-2 minutes, and then reduce the heat. Cover and simmer until all the liquid has been completely absorbed (about 15 minutes).
3. While the pilaf is cooking, heat the olive oil in a pan and stir in the onion slices. Over a medium heat, cook the onion slices for about 15 minutes until they start to get caramelized, stir occasionally. Season with salt.
Serve the pilaf with the caramelized onion slices over the top. Pickled peppers or caciki dip of yoghurt with cucumbers and garlic would go perfectly with this lovely meal.
Recipe by Reyhan's Kitchen