- 1 tsp olive oil + extra, to drizzle
- 6 shallots, peeled and halved
- 120 g whole baby fennel, thinly sliced lengthways
- 6 baby potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 star anise
- 1 bay leaf
- 125 ml white wine
- 250 ml warm vegetable stock
- 100 g exotic mushrooms
- 125 ml fresh cream
- 2 salmon portions
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Fennel fronds, to garnish
1. Heat a pan over medium heat and add the oil, shallots and whole baby fennel. Turn the heat down slightly to cook without browning too much. Cook until the fennel and shallots become slightly tender, 8 – 10 minutes.
2. Stir in the potatoes, garlic, star anise and bay leaf, and fry for 1 – 2 minutes. Add the wine and allow it to bubble away for 5 minutes so that most of the alcohol cooks off.
3. Stir in the warm stock and simmer gently, 15 – 20 minutes.
4. Add the mushrooms and cream and cook for a further 5 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven grill. Place the salmon on a lined baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and lightly season. Grill until cooked and tender, 6 – 8 min- utes. Keep an eye on it so that it doesn’t overcook or burn.
6. Place the cooked salmon in a serving dish, ladle the creamy broth and vegetables on top, and add a sprinkling of fennel fronds just before serving.
If you can’t find shallots, simply replace with baby onions. The same goes for exotic mushrooms: replace with sliced.