For the filling:
- 300 g cranberries
- Pomegranate seeds from 1 fruit
- 80 g sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 260 g wheat flour
- 1 to 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1/4tsp salt
- 1tsp sugar
- 50 g butter
- 80 ml cold water
For the dough:
1. Combine wheat flour, Corn starch, Salt, Sugar, Butter and mix until it form crumbles.
2. Then add cold water and mix to form the firm pliable dough, wrap the dough in a plastic wrap/cling film and place in the refrigerator for 15minutes.
While the dough is chilling prepare the filling:
3. Dissolve corn starch in 2-3 tbsp water and set aside.
4.Combine cranberries and pomegranates in a skillet over medium heat with ¼ cup water.
5. Once cranberries and pomegranate begin to burst add sugar, corn starch-water mixture, honey, lemon zest and let it cook on a low flame.
6. Add in ground cinnamon, cardamom mix well and simmer for 8-10 minutes, then remove from flame and allow it to cool.
For the pie:
7. Pre-heat the oven at 180° (fan).
8. Get the dough out of the fridge and roll it on a floured surface.
9. Use a heart shaped cookie cutter to get the heart form and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Cut out small hearts from the center of half of your heart shapes.
10. Place 1-2 tablespoon of filling (make sure not to over fill it as it tends to pop out while baking). Cover with cutout hearts so filling shows. Press edges together with fork
11. Place in the pre-heated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes (time may vary from oven to oven so keep an eye and bake until the crust turns golden)