- 500 g whole milk
- 100 g cream
- 100 g egg yolks
- 125 g sugar
- 50 g trimoline (inverted sugar)
- 2 Bourbon vanilla beans
- 4 Tonka beans
For the Inverted Sugar
- 750 g icing sugar
- 360 g water
- 0.75 g cream tartaric acid or 0.75 g citric acid or 8 ml lemon juice (0.75 g = 1/3 tsp)
- A thermometer
- A medium sized pan
Add everything to a pot. Boil over high heat and bring to 114°C; this can take 20 to 30 minutes. Pour into a cold container. Your inverted sugar is ready!
1. Scrape the vanilla and grate the Tonka beans into the milk and cream.
2. Infuse together with the empty vanilla beans for 10 minutes over low heat.
3. Whisk the yolks with the sugar until white, pour the simmering liquids over the yolks, and cook, stirring constantly until the temperature reaches 84°C. Add the trimoline and mix.
4. Leave to rest in the fridge for one night. Transfer the mixture into an ice-cream maker.
Recipe : Yves Jehanne