- 2 tbsp Basmati rice
- 2 tbsp yellow split mung beans
- 1 tsp ghee or 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1⁄4 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 1⁄4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1⁄4 tsp ground ginger
- 500 ml hot water
- salt and pepper
- fresh coriander
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- Heat the ghee in a pot and briefly fry the cumin seeds.
- Add the rice, mung beans, turmeric and ginger powder. Stir a few times.
- Add enough hot water to cover, and cook the Kitchari for 20–25 minutes until the mung beans and rice are soft.
- To finish, season with salt and pepper, stir in some chopped coriander and add a squeeze of lemon.
Note: Kitchari should always be made fresh.