- 2⁄3 cup (110 g) sultanas
- 100 ml sweet Marsala
- 300 ml each milk and thickened cream
- 2 pared strips orange zest
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- 3 eggs, plus 1 extra egg yolk
- 150 g caster sugar
- 50 g softened unsalted butter
- 300 g panettone or brioche loaf, sliced
- icing sugar and raspberries, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Place the sultanas in a small bowl and cover with Marsala, set aside for 30 minutes to soak.
2. Meanwhile, heat milk, cream, orange zest, vanilla pod and seeds in a small pan over medium heat.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, egg yolk and sugar together until combined. As soon as cream bubbles, pour into egg mixture, whisking constantly. Set aside 4 Butter panettone slices and layer into a 2L (8-cup) baking dish. Strain cream mixture, discarding solids, then pour over panettone. Set aside for 30 minutes to infuse.
4. Place baking dish into a larger baking dish and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides. Bake for 45 minutes or until custard is set and top is golden. Rest for 15 minutes.
5. Serve dusted with icing sugar and raspberries.