- 450 g wheat flour (type 405)
- 4 tbsp raw cane icing sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 250 g cold butter, diced
- 2 egg yolks, mixed with 3 tbsp ice-cold water
- 5 tart apples, washed, peeled, cored & cut into thin slices
- 100 g butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 50 ml maple syrup
- 20 g raw cane icing sugar
- Set aside the egg white for brushing
- Dried peas, for blind baking
- Butter to grease the moulds
- 8 small pie or tart moulds of approx. 9 cm Ø each
- A little maple syrup or icing sugar
- Grease the pie dishes with butter.
- Mix the flour, icing sugar and salt in a baking bowl. Add the butter and work everything into a crumble with your fingers. Make a well, pour in the egg yolk mixture and knead everything into a smooth dough. If it is too sticky, add a little more flour, if it is still crumbly, add a little ice-cold water.
- Shape the dough into a brick and place in the fridge for 30 minutes, wrapped in plastic.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the apple wedges and the rest of the ingredients, and stew over a low heat until the apples are soft but not yet falling apart. Leave to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C top/bottom heat. Remove the dough from the fridge and roll out between two layers of baking paper until 4 mm thick. Cut out 8 circles slightly larger than the moulds so that the dough reaches the edges when inserted. Cut off cleanly.
- Prick the bottom of the tartlets several times with a fork. Cover with foil and place in the fridge for another 15 minutes. Meanwhile, cut out matching circles from the baking paper. Remove the tartlets from the fridge and line with the prepared baking paper circles. Fill with dried peas and blind bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove the baking paper with the peas and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Then leave to cool almost completely.
- Cut out different sized hearts and circles the size of the tartlets from the rest of the pastry. Cut a heart out of the centre of the circles to make different sized tartlets.
- Spread the cooled apple slices over the pre-baked tartlets. Place the prepared lids and hearts on top, brush with the egg white and bake for approx. 15 – 20 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven, brush with a little maple syrup or dust with icing sugar.
Recipe : Heike Meyers
Did You Try This Recipe?
Show us & tag us on Instagram at @kachenmagazine