- 140 g skinless hazelnuts
- 500 ml water and more to soak
- Place skinless hazelnuts in a large bowl; cover with cold water.
- Stand, covered, for 4 hours or overnight
- Drain, rinse under cold water. Drain.
- Process nuts with 500 ml water until smooth.
- Pour mixture through a strainer lined with a fine cloth into a large bowl.
- Keep any blended nuts left behind for another use (i.e., for baking).
Spiced nut milk
Make nut milk above using 120 g pecans. Stir in 2 cinnamon sticks, 3 star anise and either 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron threads or 2 long strips orange rind; leave overnight for flavours to infuse.
Vanilla nut milk
Make nut milk above using 1⁄2 cup almonds and 1⁄2 cup cashews. Split a vanilla bean lengthways, scrape the seeds into the milk, stir to combine.
Using skinless or blanched nuts will create a whiter coloured milk. Dry out the strained, blended nuts on an oven tray in a 150°C oven. Sprinkle on your breakfast cereal or add to curries and pastes. Using a high-powered blender, such as a Vitamix, will create a smoother textured milk.