- 160 g blanched almonds, roasted
- 70 g roasted, unsalted peanuts
- 75 g sunflower seed kernels
- 40 g linseeds (flaxseeds)
- 60 ml olive oil
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1⁄2 tsp sea salt flakes
1. Process all ingredients, scraping the side of the bowl regularly, until the mixture is smooth. Alternatively, use a high-powered blender for a faster and smoother result. (This step may take up to 25 minutes depending on the processing power of your processor or blender. Powerful commercial processors and blenders will take around 10 minutes, while small retail home-use blenders/processors can take up to 25 minutes before the mixture becomes smooth.)
2. Spoon nut and seed butter into a jar and refrigerate. Stir the nut butter before using as the oil will settle on the top.
Nut and seed butter will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
For a “Nutella-like” spread, add 11⁄2 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa and an extra 1 tablespoon maple syrup to the ingredients.
For crunchy nut butter, reserve 1⁄2 cup of the nuts and pulse through at the end of blending.
The almonds and peanuts with cashews and macadamias; omit the linseeds and stir in 2 tablespoons poppy seeds at the end.
Spread the nut butter on your favourite toast or crisp- bread, then top with fruit, such as sliced Cantaloupe melon, kiwifruit, mandarin segments, thinly sliced apple, sliced strawberries, sliced avocado with sesame seeds or edible flowers, sliced banana or blueberries.