- 3 large quinces
- 100 g sugar
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla pod, cut open lengthways, seeds scraped out
- 4 large oranges, juice squeezed out
- 1 finger-sized piece of fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 375 ml water
- 15 g butter, cubed
- 2 oranges
1. Preheat the oven at 180°C. Peel the quinces and cut them into quarters, but reserve about 15 quince pips and 5 pieces of skin. Pack the quinces into a shallow baking dish and sprinkle the sugar over the top. Arrange the cinnamon sticks, quince pips and skin in between the quince quarters.
2. Mix the vanilla seeds with the orange juice and pour the mixture into the baking dish. Insert the ginger slices in between and pour the water over; dot with butter and cover with aluminium foil. Bake for about 1 1⁄2 hours or until the quinces are just pink. Remove the quince skin and pips. Allow to cool.
3. To serve, segment the orange slices and add to the quinces. Serve with yoghurt or cream.