- 280 g red rice
- 750 ml water
- 60 ml sushi seasoning
- 4 sheets nori
- 1 large beetroot (200 g), peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 6 radishes, cut into matchsticks
- 1 large carrot (180 g), peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers (260 g), cut into matchsticks
- 1 large avocado (320 g), cut into matchsticks
- Tamari, wasabi paste, pickled ginger, for serving
1. Rinse rice in a sieve; drain well. Add rice and the wa- ter to a medium saucepan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 35 minutes or until rice is tender and breaks down a little. Overcooking the rice slightly will help the sushi to hold together. Spoon rice into a large bowl; stir in sushi seasoning with a fork. Season to taste with a little salt; cool.
2. Place sushi mat on a table. Keep a bowl of iced water to dip your fingers in to stop the rice sticking. Place a sheet of nori close to the bottom edge of the mat. Press one quarter of the rice mixture firmly onto the nori, spreading thinly and leaving no borders. Turn nori rice-side down on mat; press firmly to even out rice. Add one quarter of the beetroot, radish, carrot, cucumber and avocado in a horizontal line in the bottom third of the nori, leaving a little poking out at each end.
3. To roll, fold the bottom edge of the mat over the line of vegetables and press firmly into a roll, then continue rolling to finish. Roll the sushi in the mat between your hands a few times to make sure it’s well formed. Wipe mat clean; repeat with remaining ingredients to make four rolls.
4. Cut each roll into six pieces. Serve on a platter with tamari, wasabi and pickled ginger.
Make sushi a few hours ahead of time and cut when you’re ready to serve. You can also use regular sushi rice.