If you are using organic carrots, wash them, but do not peel them as the skin is rich in phytonutrients. Otherwise, it is better to peel them first.
- 600 g carrots, cut into pieces
- 750 g water
- 2 medium-sized onions, cut in half
- 60 ml olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 garlic bulb, halved
- 30 g chickpeas, rinsed
- 3 tbsp za'atar
- 1/2 cup small fresh coriander leaves
- Preheat oven to 200ºC. Prepare two baking trays with baking paper.
- Place the carrot pieces and onions in the bowl and mix for 20 sec/ speed.
- Divide the carrots and onions between the trays. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of oil and sprinkle with seeds and chilli. Season to taste. Roast for 30 minutes. Add the garlic to a plate and roast for a further 15 minutes or until the vegetables and garlic are tender.
- Meanwhile, place the chickpeas on a baking tray and drizzle with the remaining oil. Sprinkle with za'atar and toss to coat. Roast for 10 minutes or until fragrant and lightly browned.
- Squeeze the garlic and discard the skin. Transfer the vegetables and garlic to the bowl. Add water, coarse salt, pepper and cook for 15 min/100°C/speed 1.
- Blend 1 min/speed 5 to 10, gradually increasing the speed.
- Serve the soup garnished with chickpeas and coriander.
The soup can be made up to 2 days in advance, until the end of step 5, then stored covered in the refrigerator. Store the roasted chickpeas in an airtight container at ambient temperature.
Serve with a tablespoon of vegan yoghurt.