This post is also available in: English Français Deutsch
- 900 g potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 500 g ground lamb (or beef)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 200 ml beef broth
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 75 g butter
- 125 ml milk
- 150 g frozen peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Boil the potatoes in a large pot of salted water until they are tender, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- While the potatoes are boiling, heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and carrots, and cook until the vegetables are tender and the onions are translucent.
- Add the minced garlic to the pan and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the ground lamb to the pan and cook until it is browned and cooked through, breaking it up into small pieces as it cooks.
- Add the canned chopped tomatoes, beef broth, tomato paste, and frozen peas to the pan, and stir well to combine. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes, until the sauce has thickened.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. Add the butter and milk, and mash until the potatoes are smooth and creamy.
- Season the lamb mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the lamb mixture into the bottom of a large baking dish.
- Spoon the mashed potatoes on top of the lamb mixture, spreading it out evenly to cover the meat.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Let the Shepherd's Pie cool for a few minutes before serving.
Did You Try This Recipe?
Show us & tag us on Instagram at @kachenmagazine