- 4 large chicken breast fillets
- 60 g cornflour, plus 2 tsp for dusting
- 30 g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Salt and milled pepper
- 250 ml cold water
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1 onion, cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 150 g pineapple chunks, drained
- 2 peppers ( 1 red, 1 yellow pepper), chopped
- 45 ml tomato sauce
- 100 ml juice and grated peel of 1 orange
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) vinegar
1. Cut chicken into 3 cm cubes.
2. Mix together cornflour, flour, baking powder, seasoning and 125 ml cold water to form a smooth batter. Set aside.
3. Heat a glug of oil in a pan and lightly fry onion, ginger, pineapple and peppers. Add tomato sauce, orange juice and peel, vinegar and remaining water and simmer until sauce thickens.
4. Heat 5 cm vegetable oil in a pan. Dust chicken in a little cornflour and dip into batter to coat. Deep-fry in batches until golden and cooked through. Drain on kitchen paper.
5. Toss chicken in sauce and serve with steamed rice.