- 300-400 g of whole wheat pasta or lentil fusilli pasta
- 500 g of butternut squash
- 150 g of carrots
- 165 g of cashews, soaked for about 3 hours
- 3-4 tbsp of nutritional yeast or
- parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 tsp of mustard
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 tsp of smoked or sweet paprika powder
- 90 ml of milk (any type) or more if needed
- some parsley to garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Remove the skin and seeds of the butternut squash and cut into larger pieces. Wash, peel and cut the carrots into thick coins.
2. Steam the butternut squash and carrots for about 10 minutes, until soft. Set the vegetables aside, keep the steaming water and transfer it to a large saucepan. Bring to the boil and use it to cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Place the steamed butternut squash and carrots in a food processor or blender. Add the soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, Worcestershire sauce, turmeric and paprika powder, mustard and minced garlic. Blend until the sauce becomes thick and creamy without lumps. Slowly add milk to the sauce to dilute it to the consistency you like. The sauce should not be thick like a puree, but it shouldn’t be too runny either.
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve warm.
Recipe: Vesela Savova