- 1 red onion
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp allspice flakes
- 1 tsp black cumin seeds
- 1 aubergine
- 100 ml water
- 1/3 zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp mustard seed
- Olive oil
- A few seasonal lettuce leaves (mustard leaf, rocket, mizuna...)
- 80 g Tête de Moine PDO
For the aubergine chutney
- Finely chop half the red onions. Simmer for 10 minutes in a saucepan with the balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, cider vinegar, sea salt, allspice flakes and black cumin seeds.
- Simmer for a further 30 minutes on the stove, adding a little water so the onion doesn't burn.
- Cut the aubergine into 1 x 1 cm cubes and cook until golden but not yet fried.
- Add the aubergine to the onion.
- Simmer until the liquid has reduced and both the onion and aubergine are tender.
For the zucchini slices
- Cut the zucchini lengthways into slices about 0.5 cm thick. Place them on an oven dish lined with baking paper.
- Then you can either smoke the zucchini and fry them with garlic oil or bake them for 10 minutes at 160° C until the vegetable is tender.
For the fried egg
- Fry the egg, but do not cook it all the way through as it will cook more in the croquette.
For the salad
- Mix the lemon juice, mustard seeds, olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- Prepare a seasonal salad (we chose mustard leaf, rocket and mizuna).
- Mix the dressing with the salad just before serving.
Build your croque
- Cut the bread into slices and brush the outside with a little ghee.
- Arrange 3 slices of courgette on half the bread.
- Add 2 tablespoons of chutney.
- Place the fried egg (half cooked) on top. Sprinkle with salt.
- Place a second slice of bread next to it.
- Bake for 8 minutes in a 190°C oven.
- Sprinkle the egg with 80 g of Tête de Moine PDO. Add the salad and close the croque. We do not add the cheese before baking because it has a nice peppery touch when cold. However, you can also let it melt.
Recipe: Frank Restaurant
Picture: Vivi Pham Photography