From live video mapping to captivating DJ music, drone play and a dark and twisted piece on technology, the “Nuit de la Culture” 2023 will take you to the next level on the 22nd of April.
Every year around spring, the commune of Esch-sur-Alzette organises a “Nuit de la Culture” 2023, which is shaped by engaged residents and talented artistic collectives. This year, the theme revolves around technology, science fiction and artificial intelligence. On the 22nd of April, people can visit the University/Belval district, where playful installations, funfair, concerts, puppets and light shows will take place. We have selected a handful of events, which sparked our interest, and hopefully yours!
On KACHEN’s agenda
- Lights and sounds all evening long – The base of the Haut Fourneau C will be turned into a giant screen through video artist, Paul Schumacher, aka. Melting Pol. A live video-mapping enriched with special effects surrounds three Luxembourgish DJs placed on a floating stage on the water such as DJ Steve R.I.O.T., DJ Riven (TipTil) and Miss Sappho!
- A must-see sculpture – Expect an intrusive inflatable sculpture in the middle of the square in Belval. “The Eyes” by Coolshit is a social commentary on our scattered attention and inability to focus due to an intensified array of information and technological devices. The hero sculpture is accompanied by a series of satellite eyeballs, a projection map and an augmented reality filter.
- Step into the marvels of science fiction – Before we gave modern technical devices a name, there was science fiction. Yet, did you know that this literary genre was invented by Hugo Gernsbach, a Luxemburgish engineer who later naturalised as an American? In fact, the publisher and author of sci-fi magazines frequently mentioned his own home country by naming characters after Luxembourg towns, as seen in ‘Ultimate World’. This exhibition features large-format images and original soundscapes that will immerse you in imaginary worlds.
- Dive into underwater life with Greenpeace – The AnthropOcean installation immerses the audience into an audiovisual and spatial experience of underwater life. The realistic images are layered on top of a soundtrack of new human-induced noises, creating a sense of disorientation. The project was realised at the crossroads of art, science and ecology.
- Experience Belval from above! – Vertical Immersion is a special aeronautical show to experience Belval in a new way, using a live camera on a drone. Whether you are a couple or a family, an adventure awaits you. The staff will make sure that every guest is comfortable, from boarding to landing!
- Beats meet beans at Dalmat Coffeehouse – Experience a unique blend of sound, image and taste in the heart of the former blast furnaces! On the agenda: electronic and classical music, DJ sets, video projections, and a variety of homemade snacks created especially to reflect the diversity of the “Nuit de la Culture”.
- Get swept away by a dark and twisted play – The Nether is a virtual world that offers true sensory immersion. Identify yourself, choose an identity and let your desires run wild. However, when a young detective discovers a disturbing way to entertain oneself, she sets off an examination into the darkest corners of the imagination.
More information: www.nuitdelaculture.lu