- 2 kg of bacalhau (salted cod)
- 3 large onions
- 4 cloves of red garlic
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 4 ‒ 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2.5 kg potatoes (e.g. Nicola variety)
- 1 glass of dry white wine
- Oil for the fryer
- 1 jar of black olives (160g)
- 1 jar of green olives (160g)
- Salt & black pepper
- 12 eggs
- Tear the large slices of bacalhau by hand, remove the bones and set aside.
- Cut the onions into half moon slices. Finely chop the garlic and parsley. Cut the potatoes into matchstick size strips. Set aside.
- In a large pot, sweat the onions in olive oil. Add the garlic and the 4 ‒ 5 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the bacalhau and white wine, stir and fry over a low heat for 15 minutes.
- Turn on the deep fryer to 170°C and cook 4 batches of mini potato fries for about 3½ minutes each. Keep a close eye on them: the fries should be cooked and slightly firm but still white and soft. They should not
- Add the potatoes to the bacalhau along with half a jar of black olives and half a jar of green olives (drained). Season with salt and pepper, stir and cook on a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Whisk the eggs and add the parsley, then add to the bacalhau and simmer for 10 minutes on a low heat.
Recipe: Alcina Guedes Nogueira
If you reheat it, add extra eggs before serving so that it doesn’t stick to the pan.