- 1 kg ragout of venison
- 1 large glass of red wine (+- 300 ml)
- 2 large glasses of water (+- 600 ml)
- 100 g butter
- 3 – 4 tbsp flour
- 6 juniper berries
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp game spice mix
- 1 tsp salt (dashed)
- 1 large pinch of pepper
- Put the butter in the saucepan and let it melt. Add the flour and stir well. Sweat over high heat for 10 minutes so that it browns when stirred (best with a wooden spoon).
- Add the meat and sauté for 2 minutes, mixing well with the butter and flour mixture. Season with salt, pepper, game mix.
- Deglaze with red wine and water. Stir everything together.
- Add juniper berries and bay leaves. Simmer on very low heat for 2 hours whilst adding another glass of water and stirring once every 20 minutes.
- Serve with spaetzle, red cabbage and homemade apple compote.
Recipe & Picture: Anne Lommel
People often tend to confuse red deer and roe deer! Deer are much larger and up to ten times heavier than roe deer.