- 450 g plain flour
- 330 g caster sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 200 g butter, melted
- 90 g golden syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
For the Royal Icing
- 1 egg white
- 240 g pure icing sugar
- 1 – 2 tsp water (approx.)
- Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- Combine butter, syrup, egg, and egg yolk in a small bowl, then stir the butter mixture into the dry ingredients. Knead lightly to bring the dough together. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Line two large oven trays with baking paper. Divide the dough in half. Roll one piece of dough between two sheets of baking paper until about 3 mm thick. Slide the dough in baking paper onto a tray and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Peel the baking paper from the top of the dough, then place it back on the dough. Turn over and remove the top paper. Cut the dough into bunnies with a bunny-shaped cutter, then carefully place them on the oven trays.
- Bake in batches for about 10 minutes or until golden brown, then leave to cool.
- For the royal icing, beat the egg white in a small bowl with a mixer until barely frothy. Add sifted icing sugar, a little at a time, and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Stir in the water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until it reaches a consistency that can be piped. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a small tube.
- Decorate the bunnies with the icing as desired. Leave to stand for 1 hour or until set.