- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained
- garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 125ml olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 300g cake flour
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 45ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
- 90ml warm water
- 100g asparagus spears, blanched
- 100g frozen peas
- thawed pea shoots, to garnish
1. For the hummus, place the chickpeas, garlic, lemon zest and juice, spices and the 125ml (1⁄2 cup) olive oil in a blender, and blitz until almost smooth. Season to taste and set aside.
2. For the flatbreads, sieve together the cake flour, salt and baking powder. Stir the cumin seeds and dried rosemary through the dry ingredients. Place the dry ingredients in a bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour the 45ml (3 tbsp) olive oil and water into the well and gently start to incorporate the dry and wet ingredients until smooth and elastic, 5 minutes. Set the dough aside to rest for 10 minutes.
3. Prepare a barbecue to grill the flatbreads over medium heat.
4. Divide the dough into 8 balls and, using a rolling pin, roll out to 0,5cm thickness. Place the flatbreads on the barbecue and grill until slightly charred, 3 minutes on each side.
5. To serve, place the hummus on a plate and top with the blanched asparagus spears and peas. Garnish with pea shoots and serve alongside the flatbreads as a shared snack.