Two new Iranian addresses, Tehran and Termeh, have opened their doors in Luxembourg City, demonstrating the attraction for this tasty Persian cuisine. This is an opportunity to list the places to discover the flavourful dishes of Iranian cuisine, but also of other Middle Eastern countries.
Rice is omnipresent in Iranian recipes, as are saffron, pomegranate and spices. The best known and most popular dishes are undoubtedly “Khoresh” (meat and vegetable stew served with rice) and Polo (saffron rice with grapes and meat).
- Tehran : a newcomer to Luxembourg City, on Avenue Monterey, they serve rice and meat dishes to take away.
- Termeh : recently opened in Galerie Beaumont, the Iranian chef offers takeaway food every lunchtime. We particularly liked his “Koobideh” minced beef and “Joujeh” chicken brochettes.
- Saffron by Rice Box : At Auchan Cloche d’Or, in the food court on the upper floor, you will find the former owners of the famous Rice Box (the first Iranian Ricebar to open in Luxembourg) offering their delicious Iranian specialities.
- Rice House : this address delights the workers of the Gare district who rush to eat “adas polo” (saffron rice, lentils, chicken and raisins) or “Khoreshte Fessendjan” (meat stew with walnuts and pomegranate) every lunchtime.
- Persian Food box : with two locations in Luxembourg, one in the city centre and another in the Infinity centre in Kirchberg, this restaurant offers typical Iranian dishes that are gluten-free, lactose-free, with a wide choice of vegan recipes.
To get the fullest taste of this cuisine, don’t hesitate to choose a selection of hot and cold mezzes: tabouleh, kebbe, hummus, aubergine caviar, falafel, the choice is endless!
- Chiche : we love their Fatteh, a traditional bread with aubergines, cashew nuts, chickpeas in a yoghurt-tahini sauce and sprinkled with pomegranate seeds. Choose between an address in Limpertsberg and another in Esch-sur-Alzette.
- Kicheneck : for many years, Kicheneck has offered a menu full of Lebanese dishes in a cosy, family atmosphere in the heart of Limpertsberg. The icing on the cake is that the place is BYOB, so you can bring your own bottle of wine or beers!
- Green Olive: Located in the Gare district, this address offers a very large buffet of hot and cold mezzes. We love their Shawarma chicken sandwich, generous and above all delicious.
- Let’s not forget the popular Bazaar, on Place Guillaume, which offers Mediterranean dishes to share with friends, while enjoying a cocktail.
- Bamyan is the first Afghan restaurant to open in Luxembourg. In the kitchen and in the dining room, an Afghan refugee family will introduce you to the specialities of the Bamyan province. You can taste the “Qabuli”, meat served with rice, carrots and sultanas or “dumplings” filled with leeks and onions served with a tomato sauce.
Here are two recipe ideas that you can follow to impress your guests.
And for some of the ingredients, you can find Iranian products at the small supermarket “Rose Market”, located on route de Thionville.