- 750 ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium leek (350 g), chopped finely
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 200 g Arborio rice
- 250 ml dry white wine
- 150 g broccoli, cut into small florets
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon peel
- 110 g packaged gluten-free
- Grapeseed oil, for deep-frying
For the rocket & almond pesto
- 100 g rocket (arugula), chopped coarsely
- 1⁄2 cup roasted almond kernels, chopped coarsely
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 125 ml olive oil
1. Bring stock to the boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat; simmer, covered.
2. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat; cook leek and garlic, stirring, for 2 minutes or until leek is soft. Reduce heat to low. Add rice; stir to coat in oil mixture. Add wine; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until wine is evaporated.
3. Stir in one third of the hot stock; cook, stirring, over low heat until liquid is absorbed. Continue adding stock, in batches, stirring, until liquid is absorbed after each addi- tion. Total cooking time should be about 20 minutes or un- til rice is just tender, adding broccoli during last 10 minutes of cooking. Stir in lemon peel; season to taste. Spread rice mixture over a large oven tray; cool for 15 minutes.
4. With wet hands, roll rice mixture into 4 balls. Toss balls in breadcrumbs to coat; place on a tray. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, make rocket and almond pesto.
6. Fill a large saucepan one-third full with grapeseed oil; heat to 180°C (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 15 seconds). Deep-fry balls, in batches, for 2 minutes, turning occasionally, until browned lightly and cooked through. Drain on paper towel.
7. Serve arancini with pesto.
Rocket & almond pesto
Blend ingredients in a small food processor until almost smooth. Transfer to a small bowl; season to taste.