- 250 g fresh carrots
- 150 g ground hazelnut kernels
- 150 g ground almonds
- 5 eggs
- 300 g sugar
- 1 lemon
- 75 g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp butter or margarine
- 1 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 200 g icing sugar
- 2-3 tbsp hot water
- Marzipan carrots
1. Wash, peel and finely grate the carrots.
2. Mix the egg yolks and sugar until foamy.
3. Grate some lemon zest and add to the mixture. Mix flour and baking powder and add to the egg yolk mixture.
4. Add the carrots, nuts and almonds and mix.
5. Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold them loosely into the egg yolk mixture.
6. Butter the bottom of a baking tin and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
7. Pour the cake mixture into the tin and spread smoothly.
8. Bake the carrot cake in a preheated oven at 180 °C hot air for about 50 minutes. Do not bake too long or it will be too dry. Remove the cake from the tin and leave to cool on a cooling rack.
For the icing:
1. Mix the icing sugar with hot water and a little lemon juice.
2. Pour the icing onto the centre of the cake and spread evenly with a knife.
3. finally decorate with marzipan carrots.