- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 500 ml milk
- Pepper, freshly ground
- 1 pinch nutmeg, freshly grated
- 175 g grated cheese, mixed, e.g. Cheddar, Pecorino, Gouda
- 4 chicories
- 200 g cooked ham, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp almonds, ground
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a saucepan, sprinkle in the flour, cook briefly and pour in the milk while stirring.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Then add the cheese, allow to melt and stir until a creamy sauce is formed.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C top / bottom heat. Wash the chicory, cut in half if desired and wrap
- Grease a baking dish (approx. 22 cm Ø) with the remaining butter and place the chicory in it. Spread the cheese sauce over the top, sprinkle with almonds and bake in the oven for approx. 25 minutes. Leave to cool slightly and serve.