- 750 g silver beet(Swiss chard)
- 60 ml olive oil
- 1 medium leek (350 g), sliced thinly
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp white spelt flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) vegetable stock
- 2 medium courgettes (240 g), cut into 1 cm slices
- 200 g broccolini, cut into 5 cm lengths
- 120 g frozen baby peas
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- 2 tsp black sesame seeds
- 2 tsp white sesame seeds
1. Preheat oven to 220°C.
2. Trim ends of silver beet stems; chop stems into 1 cm pieces. Coarsely shred leaves.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a 26 cm (base measurement) / 27 cm (top measurement) frying pan over medium heat. Cook leek and silver beet stems, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes or until softened. Add garlic; cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add flour; stir until combined. Gradually stir in stock; bring to the boil, simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until the liquid has thickened slightly.
4. Pour boiling water over shredded silver beet in a large heatproof bowl; leave to stand for 1 minute, drain. Refresh in another bowl of iced water; drain. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible, then stir into leek mixture with courgettes, broccolini and peas. Season to taste. Cool for 20 minutes.
5. Brush filo sheets with remaining oil, loosely scrunch sheets over the mixture in the pan; sprinkle with both seeds. Bake for 15 minutes or until the pastry is golden. Stand pie for 10 minutes before serving.
This pie can be eaten hot, warm or cold. To take on a picnic, simply cool, wrap the frying pan in a clean tea towel and away you go! Make sure the pan or skillet is non-reactive, that is, not aluminium, pitted or with any rust spots.