- 250 g dried dates (stoned)
- 300 ml water
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp ghee (alternatively, 2 tbsp olive oil)
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 chili pepper
- 1 thick slice of fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 tsp cane sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Quarter the dates and soak in 300 ml of water and the juice of half a lemon.
- Finely grind the coriander seeds in a mortar. Seed the chili pepper, peel the ginger and chop both.
- Heat the ghee in a pot and briefly fry the coriander seeds. Add the chili pepper and ginger and fry until lightly browned. Add the turmeric and stir-fry briefly with the rest of the spices. Add the soaked dates with the soaking water and cane sugar and cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes without the lid on until most of the liquid has evaporated. Stir several times in the process.
- Purée finely with a blender.
- Add salt and cinnamon, season with a little lemon juice and let cool.
The chutney will keep for a few days in a closed container in the refrigerator. The chutney also excellent freezes very well.
Did You Try This Recipe?
Show us & tag us on Instagram at @kachenmagazine