- 750 g wheat flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 50 g sugar
- 1 block fresh yeast (42 g)
- 1⁄4 litre milk
- 100 g butter
- 3 whole eggs and 1 egg yolk for brushing
- 75 g raisins or sultanas
1. Sift the flour into a bowl, mix with the salt and make a hollow in the middle. Add the sugar to the bowl, crumble in the yeast, combine with some flour, and stir in 1⁄8 litre lukewarm milk to make a soft dough. Cover the bowl with a cloth and let rest for 15 minutes in a warm place
2. Melt the butter on high heat and let cool. Add the rest of the milk, 3 eggs, melted butter and raisins to the flour and yeast mix, and knead into a smooth, non-sticky dough. Cover the bowl with a cloth and set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes, until the dough has doubled in volume.
3. Shape the dough into a log and place in a greased loaf tin (about 35 cm). Alternatively, divide the dough in three and braid. Cover and let rise in a warm place once again for 30-40 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 200°C Brush with egg yolk and bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Remove from oven after baking and let cool.
Recipe : Simone Schmit