- 400 g of white beans (ready-cooked), rinsed & drained
- 1 white globe onion, finely chopped
- 4 organic lemons
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp mustard
- ½ tsp wine vinegar
- 1 raw beetroot
- 2 cos lettuces
- Salt & pepper
For the koftas
- 500 g minced beef (or lamb)
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander, chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Sunflower oil
- Salt & pepper
- Put the beans, onion, 2 tbsp olive oil, juice of half a lemon, salt and pepper in a bowl. Mix and set aside in a cool place.
- Peel and grate the raw beetroot.
- In a bowl, combine mustard, vinegar, 2 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix in the grated beetroot and refrigerate.
- Finely chop the red onion. Wash the lettuce leaves and spin until dry.
- In a separate bowl, mix the minced meat, onion, spices, herbs, salt and pepper. Mix with your hands for 3 minutes to combine well. Place a skewer on top of the stuffing and shape the kofta with oiled hands around the skewer. Repeat with the entire meat mixture. Set aside on a plate.
- Cut 3 lemons in half. Grate the zest of the remaining half lemon.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan (or plancha). Cook the koftas and lemon halves (cut-side-down) over a medium to high heat, turning the koftas so that they brown evenly on all sides.
- Line a serving dish with the lettuce leaves and top with the bean salad, koftas and grilled lemon halves. Sprinkle with lemon zest and sprouts. Serve with grated beetroot.
You can use dried beans that have been soaked overnight in cold water and then cooked in a court bouillon.