Cream cheese icing
- 125 g butter, softened
- 130 g icing sugar, sifted
- 500 g plain cream cheese
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 250ml water
- 200g sugar
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 x 300g ready-made Madeira loaf cakes, cut into 1.5 cm thick rounds which fit in the desired jars
- 250 ml lemon curd
1. For the icing, cream the butter and sugar together and then lightly whisk in the cream cheese, ensuring you do not overmix as the mixture can easily split. Mix in the lemon juice.
2. For the lemon syrup, heat the water, sugar, lemon juice and zest together until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
3. To finish, place a slice of cake on the bottom of the glasses and sprinkle with lemon syrup. Add a layer of fresh cheese icing. Add 2 teaspoons lemon curd and repeat the whole process once (i.e. slice of cake, lemon syrup, cream cheese - no second layer of lemon curd is required, otherwise the dessert can become too acidic).
4. Garnish with lemon peel and fresh mint and cover with lids. Serve cold or at room temperature.