- 9 slices of toast, preferably without crust
- 6 leaves from a head of lettuce
- 175 g cream cheese
- 3 thin slices of young Gouda (the size of a piece of toast)
- 6 thin slices of cheddar cheese (the size of a piece of toast)
- 3 thin slices of cooked ham (the size of a piece of toast)
Wash the lettuce leaves, remove the stalks & spin dry.
Briefly toast the bread. It should still be light.
Spread the cream cheese on three slices. Season with salt and pepper. Place a lettuce leaf on each toast and press on them a little. Put a slice of Gouda on each. Place one slice of cheddar cheese on each toast. Spread another slice of toast with the cream cheese and place it with the spread side down. Spread the cream cheese on the top side as well. Season with salt and pepper. Place a slice of cheddar cheese on each, followed by a slice of cooked ham on each. Again, place a lettuce leaf on each and press down lightly. Spread the last three slices of toast once more with cream cheese and place each with the coated side on the lettuce. Divide each stack of toast into nine pieces and secure with a wooden stick. Place in a suitable baking dish, cover and refrigerate until you leave for the picnic.
Recipe : Heike Meyers
Alternatively, thinly sliced chicken breast fillets served with thin slices of avocado are