For the cabbage roulades
- 1 white cabbage
- 700 g mixed minced meat
- 1 egg
- 1 roll from the previous day
- 1 onion
- ½ tsp marjoram
- 8 thin slices of bacon
- 2 tbsp clarified butter
For the sauce
- 100 g bacon cubes
- 500 ml meat stock
- 200 ml cream
- Sauce thickener, if needed
- Blanch 8 whole white cabbage leaves in portions in boiling salted water for approx. 4 minutes. Rinse in ice water and pat dry.
- Soak the bread roll in lukewarm water. Finely dice the onion.
- Mix the minced meat with the squeezed-out roll, the onion cubes and the egg. Season with salt, pepper, marjoram and nutmeg.
- Spread the mince mixture over the cabbage leaves. First fold in the sides, then roll up, cover with a slice of bacon and tie with kitchen twine.
- Heat the clarified butter in a roasting pan. Sear the roulades on all sides until they have taken on colour. Fry the bacon cubes for 5 minutes, then pour in the meat stock. Cover and simmer on a low heat for 30 minutes.
- Remove the roulades and keep warm. Add the cream to the sauce and reduce a little. If necessary, thicken slightly with sauce thickener and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the sauce with the cabbage rolls. Serve with mashed potatoes or boiled potatoes.