- 6 egg whites
- 1 pinch of salt
- 250 g fine sugar
- 2 cl elderflower syrup
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 200 g very cold whipping cream
- 2 tbsp vanilla sugar
- 80 g mascarpone
- 500 g small strawberries
- 2 cl elderflower syrup
- 100 g lemon curd, (green) homemade option, possible with Thermomix.
- mint leaves, for decoration
- elderflowers, unopened, for decoration
For homemade lemon curd (for about 650 g):
- 240 g caster sugar
- 150 g freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 120 g butter
- 3 medium eggs (53 – 63 g)
- Preheat the oven to 100°C (convection heat). Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Prepare the meringue. Place 150 g of sugar in the bowl and mix for 5 seconds at speed 10 to obtain icing sugar. Set aside.
- Place the egg whites, salt and 50 g of caster sugar in the bowl. Insert the whisk attachment. Beat for 7 minutes at 37°C on speed 3.5. After 5 minutes, pour the remaining 50 g caster sugar through the opening in the lid and add the elderflower syrup.
- When the meringue starts to set, add the reserved icing sugar, cornflour and lemon juice. Whisk again for 1 minute at speed 2.
- Pour the mixture into a large piping bag and pipe a circle about 22 cm in diameter and 2 cm high onto the baking sheet. Smooth the outside with the back of a spoon and make a hollow in the centre (7 to 8 cm ø).
- Place 4 more meringue circles with a hole in the centre (6 - 7 cm ø) on the baking sheets, each slightly smaller and flatter than the previous diameter. Bake the meringues in the oven for 50 – 60 minutes, without browning. Leave to cool in the oven with the door open.
Whipped cream with mascarpone:
- Put the sugar in the bowl and blend for 10 seconds at speed 10. Take 50 g of icing sugar and set aside for the finishing touch.
- Insert the whisk. Add the vanilla sugar, cream and mascarpone and whip for 40 seconds for 3 minutes at speed 3 until the cream has the consistency of whipped cream. Remove the whisk. Transfer to a piping bag and set aside in a cool place.
- Rinse the strawberries, drain, clean and cut in half. Mix them with the elderflower syrup and leave to stand for a short time.
- Place the largest meringue base on a dish or plate and fill the hollow with a little cream. Place the remaining meringues on top. Set aside 2 tbsp of the pickled strawberries and pour the rest into the hollow in the centre.
- Cover the edge of the pavlova with the whipped cream and form a decorative pattern with the back of a spoon and a decorative border around the hole on top.
- Heat the lemon curd until it is thick. Cover the pavlova with the remaining strawberries and decorate with mint leaves and elderflowers. Drizzle a little lemon curd over the top so that it runs slightly down the sides and serve the pavlova.
The homemade lemon curd:
- Put the sugar, lemon juice, butter and eggs in the bowl, then activate the Sauce /80°C mode. Divide into clean jam jars, put the lid on without closing completely, then leave to cool before closing tightly. Store in the refrigerator and use within 4 weeks.
Did You Try This Recipe?
Show us & tag us on Instagram at @kachenmagazine