For the celery
- 1 celeriac, peeled
- 2 carrots, peeled & diced
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 6 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 star anise
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 50 g maple syrup
- 250 ml red wine, vegan
- 1 l vegetable stock
For the cauliflower purée
- 1 medium cauliflower, chopped
- 2 tbsp margarine
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 60 ml oat cream
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Cut the celery into 2-cm thick slices. Salt well.
- Heat rapeseed oil in a roasting pan and brown the slices on both sides over high heat. Remove the celery and fry the sliced vegetables over a medium heat for 7 – 8 minutes.
- Add the bay leaves, star anise and peppercorns and fry for another 2 ‒ 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the maple syrup, then deglaze with the red wine. Reduce by half.
- Add the vegetable stock and stir well. Then add the celery slices, put a lid on the roaster and braise for 1 hour at 200°C.
- Meanwhile, cook the cauliflower in boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain.
- Put the margarine in a hot pan. Add the garlic and fry for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Finely mash the cooked cauliflower. Add the garlic margarine and oat cream. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the celeriac slices from the oven and arrange on a plate with the cauliflower purée.
Recipe & picture: Anne-Sophie Hoffmann