For the bread dough
- Unsalted butter, for greasing
- 4 eggs
- 225 g castor sugar
- 300 ml sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of 1⁄2 lemon
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and coarsely grated
- 300 g cake flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp nutmeg, grated
- 1⁄2 tsp ground ginger
- 1⁄2 tsp ground cardamom
- 70 g desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 150 g walnuts, finely chopped
- 120 g baby rainbow carrots, rinsed
For the icing
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 250 g cream cheese
- 1⁄2 tsp vanilla extract
- 50 – 75 g icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 23 cm loaf tin with butter and line the base with greaseproof paper.
2. Beat the eggs and castor sugar until pale. Add the oil and whisk well.
3. Add the vanilla, lemon zest, carrots and apple, and mix lightly.
4. Fold in the remaining ingredients and spoon into the loaf tin. Arrange the rainbow carrots on top and bake in the preheated oven until a knife inserted into the cake comes out clean, 45 – 50 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
5. For the icing, cream the ingredients together until light and smooth.
6. Cut the loaf into slices and spread generously with the icing.